Background and Physical Properties
- Recto; Verso has some illegible traces of ink
- 6.4 x 16.6 cm
- 34 lines
- Conservation Status
- A light-brown papyrus with dark stains, irregularly broken off on all sides and badly mutilated. At the left-hand side there is a margin of 1.5 cm., due to the mutilations it is impossible to determine the space left on the other sides. One (?) vertical and six horizontal folds are still visible.
- Palaeographic Description
- The text, running parallel with the fibers, bespeaks a skilled hand. On the verso side there are illegible traces of ink, running against the fibers.
- Department of Special Collections; Memorial Library; Madison; Wisconsin
- 210/211 A.D.
- Oxyrhynchos, Oxyrhynchite nome, province of Egypt
- . .] of Dionysios
- Type of Text/Title of Work
- Lease of Fishing Rights
- A certain Dionysios leases from a person whose name was mentioned in the missing fragment above line 1, the fishing grounds he possesses round the village of Tholthis in the Oxyrhynchos Nome. The lessor probably also possessed other fishing grounds. In addition to a certain sum of money Dionysios undertakes to pay in kind.
- Subject Headings
- Fishing grounds
- Pay in kind.
- Dionysios son of N .N.
- The middle-toparchy.
- . .] of Dionysios [, son of N .N] from the town of Oxyrhynchos. I have voluntarily leased for two years from the present 19th year of our rulers for fishing [ ] and from others the waters round Tholthis of the middle-toparchy, while seventy-seven silver drachmas have been agreed on as a part of the rent and while also two jars of thrissa and six jars of garum have been agreed on. When the lease has been, ratified for me, I shall give the lessor the sum of money at the catch, but the two jars of thrissa and the six jars of garum I shall give to be taken away immediately. If the agreement is not sanctioned, I shall not be bound by the promise. The year 19 of the Imperators Caesares Lucius Septimius Severus Pius Pertinax Arabicus Adiabenicus Maximus and Marcus Aurelius Antoninus Pius Publius Septimius Geta the Augusti.
- Perseus Link
- view the greek text of this document in a separate window
Information on Publications
Series and Volume Editor Year Pg/Nr Photo SB Preferred Citation Corrections PWisc I Sijpesteijn PJ 1967 6 Plate II Sijpesteijn PJ, PWisc I, 6, 1967, Plate II -- ZPE 12 (1973) pp. 262-264. ZPE 12 (1973) pp. 262-264.
Information on Publications--Further Republications
Information on Publications--Electronic Edition
Information on Publications--Bibliography
- Rea John R., P. Wisc. 6 Revised; ZPE 12 (1973) pp. 262-264; Hengstl Joachim, Bemerkungen zu Papyri und Ostraka; ZPE 86 (1991) pp. 237-242.) Hengstl Joachim, Zur Boden-Nutzung im römischen Ägypten: Fischerei-Pacht-Verträge.; Grund und Boden in Altägypten. Akten des internationalen Symposions, Tübingen 18.-20. Juni 1990 = Untersuchungen zum Rechtsleben im alten Ägypten. 2 (Tübingen, 1994) pp. 275-284.
Information on Publications--Notes
System and Image Metadata
- Year Begin
- Year End
- Add to Portfolio
- 2735 x 4748
- Advanced Papyrological Information System (APIS UM)