background and physical properties
- Recto; Verso is blank
- 14.3 x 15.6 cm
- Conservation Status
- The upper portions of this papyrus has been lost, and the irregular tear along the upper edge of the surviving portion has had a disastrous effect on the legibility of lines 1 and 2. An oblong piece of papyrus has also been lost at the upper left corner, carrying with it the beginnings of ll. 1-7.
- Palaeographic Description
- The writing is entirely legible. The individual letters are made to a large scale and are well characterized, but they clearly reveal the awkwardsness of an unpractised writer. The left margin, where the script is preserved (ll. 8-17), broadens as it moves downward from 2 to 3 cm. Below the text is a blank space of 2 cm.
- Ann Arbor
- November 11, 86 A.D.
- Type of Text/Title of Work
- Private letter
- Letter in which the author notifies his correspondent that he has sent dates and asks the correspondent to send him tools and money.
- Subject Headings
- Iron implements--Egypt.
- Imperator Caesar Domitianus Augustus Germanicus.
- ". . . and the . . . container in which are three measures of dates, and from the son of Kalamaus for the children one measure of dates. Send me the . . . and the iron tools and 8 silver drachmas and 4 bronze drachmas. Write to me about the sandals for Bereis and for you. One pair is being made for each of you. Expect me by the 10th of next month together with the animals. If Sarapous desires anything of what I sent, give it to her, and salute her, Theonas, all those at home, and little Sarapous. Farewell.
- Sixth year of Imperator Caesar Domitianus Augustus Germanicus, Hathyr 15."
- Perseus Link
- view the greek text of this document in a separate window
information on publications
Series and Volume Editor Year Pg/Nr Photo SB Preferred Citation Corrections ZPE 34 Youtie H C 1979 90-92 Pl. VIIa SB XVI,12578 Youtie H C, ZPE 34, 90-92, 1979, Pl. VIIa -- SB XVI,12578 -- BL IX, 287 on l. 9. BL IX, 287 on l. 9.
- Year Begin
- Year End
- Add to Portfolio
- 4853 x 4865
- Advanced Papyrological Information System (APIS UM)