Background and Physical Properties
- Recto; Verso is blank
- Archive of Kronion son of Apion, nomographos of the grapheion of Tebtynis
- 13 x 28 cm
- Conservation Status
- In excellent condition
- Palaeographic Description
- The first hand is in a small cursive; the second is a large upright cursive written with considerable care and with great regularity in the form and size of the letters (Boak)
- Ann Arbor
- November 23, 47 A.D.
- Either Areos kome or Tebtynis, Polemonos meris, Arsinoite nome, province of Egypt
- Tebtynis, Polemonos meris, Arsinoite nome, province of Egypt
- 1921: acquired by Kelsey from Nahman in Cairo
- Thouonis son of Akousilaos
- Type of Text/Title of Work
- Petition to a Strategos
- Petition addressed to Apollonios, strategos of the division of Polemon, by Thouonis, son of Akousilaos, who complains that he and his wife Tanouris have been abused and that his wife has been brutally mishandled by Bentetis, a herdsman of Oxyrhyncha.
- Subject Headings
- Miscarriage--Egypt-- Oxyrhynchos.
- Thouonis son of Akousilaos, husband of Tanouris;
- Tanouris daughter of Heronas, wife of Thouonis;
- Bentetis son of Bentetis, probatoktenotrophos;
- Claudius, emperor;
- (unnamed) prosbyteroi (presbyteroi)
- Areos kome, Polemonos meris, Arsinoite nome; Oxyrhyncha
- About 26 years old, with a scar on the left side of his neck and the left forearm. His wife Tanouris, daughter of Heronas. Against Bentetis, son of Bentetis, from Thouonis, son of Akousilaos, of Areos kome, the 26th of the present month Neos Sebastos of the 8th year of Tiberius.
- (2nd hand) To Apollonios, strategos of the Arsinoite nome, from Thouonis, son of Akousilaos, of Areos kome of the division of Polemon, the 26th of the present month Neos Sebastos of the 8th year of Tiberius Claudius Caesar Augustus Germanicus Imperator. While I was having a reckoning with Bentetis, son of Bentetis, a herdsman of Oxyrhyncha in the same division, regarding pay and allowances which he owes me, he then, not wishing to pay me but to cheat me, acted insultingly to me and to my wife Tanouris, daughter of Heronas, in the aforesaid Areos kome. And besides this he also mercilessly inflicted on my wife Tanouris many blows on whatever parts of her body he could, although she was pregnant, with the result that she gave birth to a dead child and she herself is confined to bed and is in danger of her life. Therefore I ask you to write to the elders of Oxyrhyncha to send the accused to you for the coming assizes. Farewell.
- The eighth year of Tiberius Claudius Caesar Augustus Germanicus Imperator, the 27th of the month Neos Sebastos.
- Thouonis, about 26 years old, with a scar on the left side of his neck and on his left forearm.
- Perseus Link
- view the greek text of this document in a separate window
Information on Publications
Series and Volume Editor Year Pg/Nr Photo SB Preferred Citation Corrections PMich V Boak AER 1944 228 Boak AER, PMich V, 228, 1944
Information on Publications--Bibliography
- Tomasz Derda, ARSINOITHS NOMOS. Administration of the Fayum under Roman Rule, Warsaw 2006, p. 89
Information on Publications--Notes
- The notation occupying the first four lines of the text is a brief summary of certain significant items concerning the petition made by a clerk of the grapheion other than the writer of the petition itself.
- Year Begin
- Year End
- Add to Portfolio
- 3480 x 4608
- Advanced Papyrological Information System (APIS UM)