- Inventory Number
- P.Mich.inv. 6177
- Processing Number
- a; Recto
Background and Physical Properties
- 5.5 X 6.5 cm
- 5 + 1 line running around the edge of the seal
- Conservation Status
- numerous small holes in the center and a large break where the seal was attached; three pieces of the broken seal were recovered (see note)
- February 7, 208 A.D.
- either Dionysias, Themistou meris, or Soknopaiou Nesos, Herakleidou meris, Arsinoite nome, province of Egypt
- Soknopaiou Nesos, Herakleidou meris, Arsinoite nome, province of Egypt
- 31-II203E-P (3)
- Unknown customs official
- Type of Text/Title of Work
- Customshouse Receipt
- Receipt for payment of the customs duty for the harbor of Memphis (see also P.Mich. inv. 6178a)
- Subject Headings
- Septimius Severus & Caracalla, Emperors
- Dionysias; Memphis; Soknopaiou Nesos
- Paid, through the gate-house of Dionysias, the (customs duty) for the harbor of Memphis, by Herakles, exporting on the fifth of Thoth thirty-two artabs of olives on four camels (and) two foals. Year 16, on the twelfth of Mecheir, 12.
- (On the seal) Through the gate-house of Soknopaiou Nesos, year 14 of Lucius [Septimius Severus] and Marcus Aurelius Antoninus [Augusti].
Information on Publications
Series and Volume Editor Year Pg/Nr Photo SB Preferred Citation Corrections Soknopaiou Nesos Boak AER 1935 5 SB V 7822 Boak AER, Soknopaiou Nesos, 5, 1935 -- SB V 7822 -- BL VI, 138 (line 6); BL IX, 249 (lines 3, 4). BL VI, 138 (line 6); BL IX, 249 (lines 3, 4).
Information on Publications--Bibliography
- P. Bureth, Les titulatures imperiales (Bruxelles, 1964) p. 95; P.Customs, p. 173, No. 468.
Information on Publications--Notes
- The gray clay seal (originally 2.5 cm in diameter) shows the bust of a bearded figure facing right in the upper left, and in the center below an Apis bull standing right. On the basis of the inscription running around the edge the bust may be identified as that of Septimius Severus; the missing upper right part of the seal probably contained a similar bust of Caracalla facing left.
- Year Begin
- Year End
- Add to Portfolio
- Advanced Papyrological Information System (APIS UM)