Background and Physical Properties
- Recto + Verso
- 14.4 x 13.2 cm.
- Conservation Status
- Regularly cut at the top and to the right. Five horizontal folds still visible, and most of the bottom panel is now lost. (TC)
- Palaeographic Description
- The script is rather large and regular. E andS often have a straight back, and the o is rather small.
- Ann Arbor
- IV/VI A.D.
- 1926/1927; Acquired by Bell and Westermann from Nahman
- subliterary; magic
- Type of Text/Title of Work
- love charm
- The text consists of a paragogic love charm, differing from others in that its purpose is honest love and matrimony. The personified oil which is invoked probably is represented by actual oil employed by the sorcerer.
- Subject Headings
- " (Recto):
- Oil, Oil, Oil, holy Oil,
- Oil that flows from under the throne of Iao Sabaoth,
- Oil with which Isis anointed the bones of Osiris,
- I cry to thee, Oil,
- The sun and the moon cry to thee,
- The stars of heaven cry to thee,
- I desire to send thee.
- Mayest thou come, and let me bring thee, and mayest thou bring so-and-so to me, me, so-and-so,
- And make my love arise in her heart, and hers in mine, in the manner of a brother and a sister .....
- I desire to beget her children.
- Truly, truly I adjure thee,
- The one whose head is in the heaven,
- His foot being in the abyss.
- In front of him being (what is) under the Sheep,
- Behind him being under Draco,
- The one in whose presence the heaven of all darkness is suspended ......."
- "I shall tear out with an iron,
- I shall dissolve it.
- Nay, my Lord,
- Do not give me into the hand of Dimelouchs,
- Who (presides) over the Judgment.
- Rather do I desire thee to go down to Hell.
- And tear out all the thoughts of the Devil with reference to anyone, so-and-so,
- And make my love arise in her heart and hers in mine:
- It is I who cry,
- It is thou who excutest the wish."
Information on Publications
Series and Volume Editor Year Pg/Nr Photo SB Preferred Citation Corrections Orientalia 4 Worrell WH 1935 184-7 Worrell WH, Orientalia 4, 184-7, 1935
Information on Publications--Further Republications
Information on Publications--Electronic Edition
Information on Publications--Bibliography
Information on Publications--Notes
System and Image Metadata
- Year Begin
- Year End
- Add to Portfolio
- Advanced Papyrological Information System (APIS UM)