background and physical properties
- Recto; Verso is blank
- archive of the praktor Sokrates son of Sarapion?
- 6.5 X 19.5 cm
- Conservation Status
- broken at the top and at the lower left corner; small holes
- Palaeographic Description
- See electronic version of PMich VIII, 488
- IInd century A.D.
- unknown place, province of Egypt
- Karanis, Herakleidou meris, Arsinoite nome, province of Egypt
- Type of Text/Title of Work
- Private Letter
- End of a letter referring to a breach in the embankments which is causing trouble in the village and to arrangements for adequate supervision of a harvest
- Subject Headings
- [- - -] gave us . . . . They brought your letter about what is happening in the village by reason of the break in the dam. Do you then also write to Zoilos that he may send Ammonios at once for the harvesting of the olives since they are being stolen from you because you are not free to keep an eye on things there and they are being stolen by the passers-by. If you find no way of delivering the message, as you told him, be sure to keep yourself in the public view(?). And when do you wish Nurse to come to you?
- (2nd hand) Farewell.
- Perseus Link
- view the greek text of this document in a separate window
information on publications
Series and Volume Editor Year Pg/Nr Photo SB Preferred Citation Corrections PMich VIII Winter JG-Youtie HC 1951 488 Winter JG-Youtie HC, PMich VIII, 488, 1951
- Year Begin
- Year End
- Add to Portfolio
- Advanced Papyrological Information System (APIS UM)